Labour and Employee Relations Specialist – Victoria, BC, Full-Time, In-Office
Our Client owns a group of companies with a diverse conglomerate of local industrial businesses operating in and around Victoria’s working harbour. The group includes 11 different businesses, totalling 400 employees, all of which are unionized.
The companies under the umbrella span various sectors, including contracting, recycling, maritime services, ready-mix concrete, engineering, properties management, excavation, drydock services, truck repair, and ferry operations.
As a Labor and Employee Relations Specialist with our Client, you will play a crucial role in ensuring effective Human Resources relations within a unionized environment. This is not just a job; it’s a unique opportunity to partner with a diverse range of businesses, leveraging your expertise in human resources and industrial relations serve and support business leaders who love what they do. You will be based in Victoria, BC, or willing to relocate to the area.
- Act as a trusted business partner to various companies within our Client’s Group, fostering positive relationships and facilitating effective communication between management and unionized employees.
- Collaborate closely with internal stakeholders to address labor and employee-related matters, providing strategic guidance and support.
- Maintain and enhance successful union relations, working proactively to prevent and resolve labor disputes and conflicts.
- Develop, implement, and continuously improve human resources policies and procedures.
- Facilitate negotiations with labor unions and contribute to the collective bargaining process.
- Serve as a resource for management in handling disciplinary actions, grievances, and other employee relations matters.
- Stay up to date with labor laws and regulations, ensuring compliance across all businesses.
- Promote a positive and inclusive work culture within the organization.
- Effectively manage a wide variety of personalities and work with humility and a “servant’s heart.”
- Reside in Victoria, BC, or be open to relocation to the area.
- The successful candidate understands that our client has a very ‘flat’ organization and titles are not important to anyone, including for this role.
- 5-15 years of successful Labor and Employee Relations experience. (Union experience is also required).
- Private company experience is a must.
- Previous experience with working with a ‘sole owner’ company.
- Proven experience in human resources, particularly in supporting large teams.
- Successful track record in industrial environments and supporting a diverse range of personalities.
- Demonstrated experience in labor and employee relations, especially within a unionized setting.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Quick thinking and adept at problem-solving.
- Previous experience working with a single owner managing a portfolio of diverse businesses is not required, however, would be an asset.
For more information, please contact Catherine Brownlee, firstname.lastname@example.org